Trainee Pharmacist Foundation Year Graduate Training Programme
Kamsons Pharmacy Pre-registration Pharmacist Training Programme was recognised at the Chemist & Druggist Awards on 6th June 2019 as the winner of the prestigious C&D Training and Development Award. This award was for the quality, breadth and results of the Kamsons Pre-reg Training Programme.
Read full details in this article in the professional press about our practical training days and “How we achieved pre-reg pass rates of 100% two year’s running”
Have a listen to what trainee pharmacist Basil said, about his foundation year with Kamsons, on the NHS Careers in Pharmacy website.
You can also see what his Educational Supervisor/tutor, Will Lloyd at Kamsons in Chichester says about his role as pharmacist manager and independent prescriber on the NHS Careers in Pharmacy website
Some of the reasons why Kamsons Pharmacy won the C&D Training & Development Award are:
- Every year Kamsons beats the General Pharmaceutical Council’s Registration Exam national pass rate.
- Kamsons Pharmacy is the only large company to have achieved a 100% GPhC Registration Exam pass rate for two consecutive years.
- Long established in-house training programme that has been running and developed over more than 15 years
- An emphasis on pastoral care- at Kamsons we know it a difficult year working full time whilst studying for the hardest exam of your life. We will look after you and support you throughout the year. Our Training Manager is on hand to support both pre-reg trainees and tutors with any issues
- We provide a broad experience and partnership working to provide you with a really interesting year including visits to a hospice to learn about palliative care, some joint training days with hospital pre-reg trainees, visiting lecturers from University of Cambridge Medical School and University of East Anglia and full-length mock exams from the University of Bradford. Note that our pre-regs in Manchester and Leeds undertake a different programme and will not attend all of these sessions.
- Over a third of our pharmacist managers are our ex-pre-registration trainees.
- Some newly qualified Kamsons pharmacists go straight into managing their own Kamsons Pharmacy whilst most stay on and work covering managers’ days off and holidays in a range of Kamsons Pharmacy branches
- Our training is broad enough to provide you with the experience to work anywhere- immediately after their pre-reg year with Kamsons, our newly qualified pharmacists have gone straight into jobs in hospital pharmacies, GP surgeries and the pharmaceutical industry. One ex-Kamsons pre-reg even owns his own pharmacies in Brighton.
- Our tutors are committed to providing you with excellent training. They all volunteer for the role.
- Our ex-pre-regs give great feedback on their year.
To apply for a trainee pharmacist place in 2023-24, then please search for Kamsons on the NHS Oriel system (under training programmes) available at https://www.oriel.nhs.uk Details of the Oriel application timetable are available at https://www.lasepharmacy.hee.nhs.uk/national-recruitment/
If you still need a place to start in August 2022 or would like to change to Kamsons
Please send a cv to email@example.com with details of where you would like to be considered for. We currently have spaces in south London and Pulborough, West Sussex.
Vacancies outside of Oriel to apply directly for to start in July 2023:
Please send a cv to firstname.lastname@example.org with details of where you would like to be considered for. Vacancies that are available are:
Portland Road, Hove, Brighton & Hove
Sutton town Centre, south London
Other vacancies may also arise
Oriel Vacancies below to start in July 2023:
for pharmacy students in MPharmIV:
On Oriel, please go into the pharmacy programmes then search for Kamsons Pharmacy under employer
Bolton– modern pharmacy next to Heaton medical centre
Failsworth, Manchester- placement shared between Focus Pharmacy- the busiest pharmacy in Manchester and Kamsons Pharmacy nearby
North West London:
Ealing – at Watmans Pharmacy
Lewes Road, Brighton
Pulborough– this is one of the largest pharmacies in the country which is fully integrated with the attached GP practice with excellent inter-professional relationships. It is in a beautiful part of Sussex and Pulborough train station is within walking distance.
Chichester– working with an experienced independent prescriber
Angmering/East Preston, near Littlehampton
Eastbourne- Victoria Medical Centre– a brand new flagship pharmacy that has recently opened
6 month split placements with hospitals
For the following Foundation Year placements, you will be employed for six months by Kamsons and six months by the respective hospital Trust.
these are split Foundation year placements with East Surrey Hospital whereby you will gain experience of both sectors. You will work for 6 months at Kamsons Pharmacy in Redhill or Broadfield, Crawley and 6 months at East Surrey Hospital. To find this place on Oriel, please search for secondary care places in Sussex (not Surrey) under Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust.
Eastbourne, Kamsons Pharmacy in Stone Cross Health Centre – this is split Foundation Year with Eastbourne District General Hospital (DGH) whereby you will gain experience of both sectors. You will work for 6 months at Kamsons Pharmacy in Stone Cross Health Centre, just outside of Eastbourne and 6 months at Eastbourne DGH Hospital. To find this place on Oriel, please search for secondary care places under East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust.